Saturday 29 August 2015

Sleeping Rose

Hey everyone!

I'm trying really hard to post once a week on Thursdays, but this week life got in the way with the hubby ending up in hospital with gastro. But, fear not, he's home again and back to his "normal" wonderful self.

Anyway, this week I decided to post another of my Disney themed mixed media ICs. This one is titled 'Sleeping Rose' and features - you guessed it - the delightful Briar Rose, who is the heroine from Sleeping Beauty.  She is the last of the classic princesses that Disney produced before the rennaissance, which returned Disney as a household name.

Briar Rose is such a wonderful princess, because she is so in love with her life. She lives in the forest with her woodland friends and strange "aunts", and dreams of nothing but her handsome stranger to come and whisk her off her feet.  This is evident in the quote on the page :

"I know you, I've danced with you once upon a dream,"

But alas, this all changes on her 16th birthday, when she is ripped from her life and becomes her true self, the beautiful Princess Aurora.  This metamorphosis occurs by a night journey to the place where she falls prey to the magnificent (and one of the best villains, imo) Maleficent.

I drew inspiration for this really simple card from that moment when Aurora pricks her finger. I used texture paste and a homemade stencil to create the spindle, and then using Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stains in Broken China and Twisted Citron, I coloured the background. Then, I used watered down black paint to create the malevolent shadowing around it.  To finish it off, I spattered the whole thing with blue and fluoro pink paint.  This is to symbolise the ongoing battle between Flora and Merryweather for the dress to be pink or blue.

And that's it! I hope you all enjoy and have a fantastic week.

Ciao xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment