Tuesday 18 August 2015

Trying Something New

Hi there!

So this week, I have a large project in the works.  I'm doing a quote journal for a friend's Christmas present. After doing some IC (index cards), I quickly realised that there were wayyy too many quotes that I wanted to include, so I decided that a journal was the way to go.

In starting the journal, I wanted to make the cover heavily embellished because the rest of the book would be quite simple.  But I lack the funds to go out and buy a ridiculous number of embellishments and I haven't had the opportunity to buy a die cut machine as yet.  So I decided to give making some from scratch a go.

For the frame and vintage keys, I grabbed some brown cardstock, and armed with Google images and an Xacto knife, I painstakingly cut out the images I wanted. I quickly realised that I needed to slow down (a few attempts were sacrificed to the rubbish gods), and ended up with some pieces I was happy with. I then coated them in embossing medium and powder.  I think they turned out awesomely, even though they aren't as thick as true die cut images may be.

Now I was getting excited! What else could I make?

Next up came some raised dots. I grabbed some pony beads and preheated the oven to 175℃. I out some baking paper onto a tray, then the beads. They then went into the oven for about 25 minutes, but I checked them after every 5 minute interval. I really didn't want my house full of black plastic smoke!  Once they came out, I placed another tray on top, and pressed down firmly to flatten them out.  If you're going to try it yourself, maybe put a tea towel on top of the top tray, 'cause it got a bit warm. 

Again, sucess!

Finally, I made some paper roses.  You can find the pattern for the roses here. And they look amazing, if I do say so myself.

Anyway, a bit of a long winded post this week, but I hope you all enjoyed it.

Have a great week! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment